Doctor-Patient Relationships

If you have gout, your PCP will most likely prescribe medications to lower uric acid levels. Most patients will be managed by traditional medications, like allopurinol, to lower uric acid. Patients may also be told to take Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) to manage pain during a gout flare.

When gout persists over time, PCPs will often refer patients to a rheumatologist who specializes in gout care. Patients can also request a referral to a rheumatologist—particularly when gout flares are more frequent and not well controlled.

Doctor and patient.

In the early stages of gout…

… your family care or primary care physician (PCP) will likely be the one who provides care.

When gout becomes advanced, patients should always be treated by rheumatologists who have experience in caring for patients who need infusion treatments every few weeks and/or suffer from deforming tophi nodules and damage to bone structure.

When patients suffer from other health issues—like kidney disease—gout should be co-managed by both the PCP or rheumatologist and with another health specialist (i.e., nephrologist for kidney disease). It is important to keep other health issues in mind when prescribing gout treatment.


Find a Gout Specialist


Gout Cartoons

Check out this months featured gout cartoons, inked by artist Shaun Boland.

Education Library Resources - Take a Stand on Gout- Implications of the ACR Guidelines for Gout Management

Gout Education Library

Download and order free gout resources.

Medical survey

Resource Survey

Find specific resources based on your unique circumstance.

Gout Education Survey

Please answer the following eight questions about your health to help us best tailor relevant content and materials. This survey may take up to two minutes to complete.