Doctor-Patient Relationship

During this frustrating period of on-and-off gout flares, there are bound to be questions about whether there is more your doctor can do for you. The more open your dialogue is with your doctor, physician assistant or nurse practitioner, the more confident you’ll be about your care.

Old retired men answering doctor questionnaire

Just ask.

Your doctor and his or her team should answer your questions.

Here is a list of questions that you can take with you to your next appointment.

  • What is my serum uric acid level?
  • What different measures are you taking to bring it under control?
  • What is causing gout flares to return more frequently and last for longer periods of time?
  • Is there anything else we can do to try to reduce or eliminate my painful gout flares?
  • What will happen if gout continues at this pace? Will I have deformed joints and/or develop painful tophi?
  • Should I see a rheumatologist at this time, or seek another opinion?


New Gout Treatment Guidelines Published: Communicating with your Doctor

If you continue to experience several years of flares, or aren’t happy with your care, ask your primary care physician (PCP) or other physician for referral to a rheumatologist who specializes in treating gout patients. You can also check out the Gout Specialists Network for a rheumatologist in your area.


Find a Gout Specialist


Gout Cartoons

Check out this months featured gout cartoons, inked by artist Shaun Boland.

Education Library Resources - Take a Stand on Gout- Implications of the ACR Guidelines for Gout Management

Gout Education Library

Download and order free gout resources.

Medical survey

Resource Survey

Find specific resources based on your unique circumstance.

Gout Education Survey

Please answer the following eight questions about your health to help us best tailor relevant content and materials. This survey may take up to two minutes to complete.