The Gout & Uric Acid Education Society is a nonprofit organization of health care professionals dedicated to raising awareness about gout – an extremely painful form of inflammatory arthritis – with the aim of improving the quality of care and minimizing the burden of gout. The Gout & Uric Acid Education Society offers complimentary resources for both the public and medical professionals.
Education is more important than ever – especially as the number of gout cases has increased sevenfold over the past five decades. Today, more than 8.3 million Americans suffer from gout – a disease more common than rheumatoid arthritis – but only 10 percent of gout sufferers are getting needed, ongoing treatment and more than 8 in 10 don’t know the target uric acid level for gout.
- Just 10% of Americans overall – and 38% of people with gout – have had their uric acid checked within the past six months.
- Two-thirds of Americans have never had their uric acid tested.
- Six in 10 don’t know that elevated uric acid increases risk for gout.
- Only half of people with gout believe it’s important to monitor uric acid levels regularly.
- Few are aware of the link between gout and other risk factors, including family history, obesity, cardiovascular disease and kidney disease.
You can help us Take a Stand on Gout by talking about this painful disease in an upcoming article or blog. For additional information or to schedule an interview with a gout patient or medical professional expert, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.